Thursday, May 5, 2011

Chicks and Bunnies

We were so excited last month as one of our hens was brooding a nest full of eggs.
We had them marked and separated, we candles them at 3 weeks and were on track for about 6 new chickies.
We waited and waited and.... no little babies.
I'm not sure what happened but our mama hen just left her eggs after 5 weeks and we were left with only cold, soon to be rotten eggs.
I was sad, I craved watching mama hen with her little chicks all in a row behind her.

One of our neighbours has many varieties of hens and an incubator.
She had hatched some silkies, some buff orbingtons and some americanas.

We bought a couple new breeds from her and now I have my chickies.

And my girls couldn't be happier.
The are chicken whisperers.

How about a few bunnies to round out the farm crew.
We rescued a couple of rabbits.
They are great pets.
They snuggle and run around the house freely but supervised.

The girls have the bunnies named and have gotten comfortable with them and their personalities.
Meet Tiger and Thumper.

We found this cage unit at a garage sale from a lady who used to own a pet store.
For $40 we got the top and bottom, and we attached them tight together and cut holes through each compartment and up and down, attached a ladder inside and now we have a rabbit condo like no other.

Yes we are definitely a pet wonderland.

No comments:

Post a Comment