Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Nail Polish, Skirts and Granola....Sounds Like a Bad Musical

What would you think if you heard your 3 year old yelling from the bathroom unprovoked, "Don't worry mom, It's nothing you need to worry about!!!"
So as I was running towards the bathroom I had visions of what could be but I wasn't prepared for the nail polish.....and brand new bottle that I thought I had put up, or maybe I did put up but apparently not Up enough......ALL over.
Her hands, toes and some of her nails were a gorgeous sparkly pink.
SO was the floor, counter, toilet , sink with finger prints and drops all over her.
But she was so proud of herself for being a big girl.
What can I do?
But the clincher....I only had a small little bit left in the nail polish remover bottle.
Kid?..or bathroom?....Clean off the kid?...or clean up the bathroom?...
This photo just doesn't quite tell the story.

Today was a gloomy day outside but full of energy inside.
We tackled many projects and had a generally awesome day.
I have been waiting for such a day to create these marvelously simple skirts from some old small hand embroidered table clothes we found at a garage sale.
They turned out beautifully.
The girls love them because they twirl, a major prerequisite for E.



K loves hers so much it made it to the coveted "what I am wearing to school" spot for tomorrow.


Point for mommy today.
Those seem hard to come by lately.

We made some delicious granola bars this afternoon and since they were super quick and super yummy I thought I would share the recipe that I adapted from an old recipe I had found years ago.


Grease a 9-inch pan with butter and set aside. Oven on at 350 "F.
In a large bowl combine 1 cup coconut, 1/2 cup raisins, 1/2 cup dried cherries, 1/2 cup craisins and set aside.
On a baking sheet combine 2 cups old fashion oats, 1 cup slivered almond, 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, 1/2 cup oat bran, 1/4 cup flax seeds and 1/4 cup sesame seeds.
Bake the mixture for 5-10 minutes until toasted and fragrant.
Once cooked add to the coconut and dried fruit mixture.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat melt 2 Tbsps butter and add 1 cup packed brown sugar, 1/2 cup honey, 1 tsp vanilla and 1 tsp cinnamon.
Bring mixture to a boil and then pour into coconut and oatmeal mixture.
Stir until combined and then press firmly into greased pan.
Let sit until cooled and cut into bars. Store covered for up to 5 days.
Yummy and pretty healthy.

1 comment:

  1. and those bars are nice! Make sure to stop by to pick up your eggs - ya never know what else you may end up with!!!!!!!!! THX!!

    ReplyDelete