Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Hula Hoop Making = Hours of Fun

What childhood is complete without the Hula Hoop?
I picked one up the other day and was rather excited when I was still able to spin a good turn.

With that an idea was born and so a crafting we will go.....

Hula Hoop DIY

I bought 3/4 inch black (its much cheaper) irragation pipe.
I used 1/2 inch for the girls.
Each hoop needs a double end fitting of size of pipe.

You'll need to measure the height of the hoop to the person by creating a hoop with the pipe that reaches somewhere between the hips and armpits.
Cut the pipe with a hack saw, quick- cheap- easy.
No need for the cutting tools that ranged from $10-$50.
Since I didn't figure it was necessary for a simple craft I left it on the shelf.

Place fitting in one end securely.

Then loop pipe around and push the two ends together tightly.

Secure with duct tape.

This is where the costs soared.
Have you ever bought multiple rolls of tape, it is rather expensive I might say.
Here is the choices we found.
I was later informed that Walmart carried many more styles for cheaper...*of course.

It takes a lot of time to get the tape on even and smoothly but it is worth it.
It also makes the hoop more rigid and this is of great benefit when learning to hula.

We spent so much time making these it was mid afternoon before we came up for air.

Time well spent!!

14 comments:

  1. What a cool idea! Thanks for sharing. I'll definitely be making some. I went to WalMart the other day and couldn't even find a plain hula hoop. They only had fancy, heavy ones with lights. I needed a plain one to do a weaving on. Now I can get to work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just asking my husband the other day if he knew how I could make a hula hoop! Thanks so much for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat! I have never been able to work a hula hoop,dang it! How awesome that you can and even "awesomer" that you figured out a way to make one too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANKS!!! my daughter LOVES to hula hoop! even did it in the school's talent show last year. but she wears them hard & they aren't very cheap to replace. I love this! now I can make her some for cheaper & with better colors/designs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where do you buy the pipe? I can't find it around here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. About how much did it end up costing you to make these?

    ReplyDelete
  7. we made this up first

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is great! I found that dipping the ends of the hoop in boiling water for a few seconds makes the connectors go in a bit easier. Congrats for being on crafty crow! :)
    www.ramblingsofalovesickmommy.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for all your comments, so nice to hear form you.
    We bought cheap black PVC piping at the local hardware, for about 60-75 cents a foot. I use 1/2 inch for kids but 3/4 inch for adults seems to work best.
    Yes boiling the ends does help to connect the ends but it still works fine with a bit of brute force ;0)
    Walmart has a great selection of colourful tapes.
    Each one cost under $5 approx.
    And I never stated that I was the first to make these up, I just posted that we figured out how to do it and learned as we went from friends and the internet. Sorry if that was confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such an awesome idea!

    I run Fun Family Crafts, a site similar in nature to Craftgawker and Spotlight, but different in that it's a library of craft tutorials geared only at kids. I have featured your fun post here
    http://funfamilycrafts.com/homemade-hula-hoops/

    FFC also accepts submissions! Please consider this an invitation to submit as many kid friendly craft tutorials as you like. I look forward to seeing what you submit!

    If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I coached Rhythmic gymnastics for years and the girls all decorate their hoops to match their outfit/routine/music. Most use 1" wide wrapping paper ribbon and then cover with a layer of Scotch Crystal Clear tape. Much cheaper, holds up to a ton of use, and is easy enough to remove and do a new pattern. I even no someone who cut a mylar balloon into strips and used that under the tape.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just learned how to make one of these at a training. They also told us to heat the ends up with a blow drier before putting the fittings in to expand the ends then when they cool down they fit tighter. I am making these for all of my students!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like fun! A great time to use Pi to figure out how much pipe you're likely to need. Since you know the diameter (height of the hoop) you can simply multiply that by Pi (3.14...) to get the circumference and take the guess work out of how much pipe to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi everybody,


    Thanks for the tips. Usually, I do not post on blogs, but I wish to say that this post really forced me to do so! Thanks, incredibly nice article. Thank you lots, I am obliged to announce that your blog is excellent!


    Thanks a lot!
    Diana

    ReplyDelete