Monday, June 15, 2009

Wormery

We do a lot of gardening around here. We spend endless hours in the yard everyday. I try to teach the kids about all aspects of nature and I feel that one of the beat ways to do that is by learning how nature and it's beautiful creatures work and live together in harmony with the earth.
This craft is a great and easy way to demonstrate how worms work, live and breed. It is one thing to dig through the compost but this really gives an up close view of how it all works.


This is our Worm Farm or the Wormery.


What you need to get started:
A large plastic pop bottle
Construction Paper
Glue
Plastic Wrap
Scissors
Dirt
Dried leaves, Hay or Sawdust
Sand
Worms


Step 1: Wash out the pop bottle and cut off the top portion.


Step 2: Fill bottle with layers of soil, sand and dried leaves, hay and or sawdust.

Step 3: Top off layers with hay or leaves.


Step 4: Start digging. We put 6 worms in each bottle, but I am sure any amount would due fine.


Step 6: Add a bit of water to moisten the soil, but not too much, don't want to drown the poor worms.

Step 7: Cover the top of the bottle with plastic wrap and poke air holes into the top.


Step 8: Cut construction paper to the appropriate height and glue to the exterior of the bottle. We glued ours paper to paper so it made a sleeve that we can remove in order to look at the worms when needed.


Step 9: Place Wormery in a cool location and check daily to see if it needs water. Within a few days you will notice worms making trials and "nests" all around inside the bottle. Soon there will be many more worms and I am sure many more questions.

Of course no craft can go undecorated in our world, so the ladies drew names and pictures for the worms to look at while they were there. Ever so thoughtful.

Enjoy your little nature lesson and be certain to return to the earth when the lesson is over.

14 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I'll tuck that one away for future reference. Do you have any tips on how to catch worms, especially the big nightcrawler ones? They just disappear the moment I touch them when they are crawling in my garden after a rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a much better idea than the "worm condo" that we made last night. I think we'll try this one out today. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! Can't wait to try it with my kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this sounds awesome! I know my son would LOVE it. Must try it out. :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post. I have done worm bins and it's always such a huge hit with kids. I like this scaled-down approach.

    Cheers- Bethe @balmeras
    http://www.grassstainguru.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful! 'Worm condo' made me laugh - at our house it is 'worm camp'. All the worms go to camp in a little pit in the ground. They are terrified by the 'counselors' until the camp director sends them all home.

    My girls are definitely going to be making a couple wormeries very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this, my kids are suddenly obsessed with worms, and they would love to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cleaned out the soda bottle and am now just waiting for my son to wake up from his nap so we can get started. Thanks for the wonderful idea and clear directions!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I Write a column for the Pioneer Press Newspaper in the Chicago Area. I LOVE this idea and would love to share it with my readers. Would this be okay? I will give credit to you and your site! Let me know.
    Beth@engelmanriggs.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. My kinder children will love this. We'll get to work on some next week. Thank's for sharing such a great idea!
    Donna :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just wanted to stop by and say we made our wormery today! I have three boys and this was right up their alley. Thank you for such a clear, simple tutorial. :)
    Pictures if you like: http://mngranola.blogspot.com/2010/05/our-wormery.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just stopping by to let you know that I've featured your craft on Family Fun Crafts! You can see it here:
    http://funfamilycrafts.com/worm-farm/

    If you have other kid friendly crafts, I'd love it if you would submit them. :) If you would like to display a
    featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi. How long will this last before you need to send it back to the earth?

    ReplyDelete
  14. We did it. i linked back to you and gave you props! :) Check ours out.
    http://www.abirdandabean.com/2012/05/diy-worm-farm.html

    ReplyDelete