Saturday, March 24, 2012

Cabbage Paper Painting/Sciencey Stuff

I found this recipe for a crafty science experiment, on Pinterest of course.
The instructions were a tad vague bu tI managed to figure it out.

It takes some prep but it was worth it.
Not sure if the kids really got the whole science behind it, I think they thought it was more magic than anything!! Just joking.

I cut half a purple cabbage up and boiled in about 1 cup of water.

I let it boil for 15 minutes or so and drained into a shallow pan to cool.
Cut watercolour paper into small squares.

 Soaked paper in juice for about 10 minutes and flipped to soak the other side for about the same time.

 I initially thought that there wasn't enough juice but that was deceiving.
The paper doesn't really absorb a lot, so it goes a long way.

 I let them dry on the pan overnight and flipped them over a couple times as I walked by just to be sure  they didn't stick.

 The next day we gathered a bunch of liquids to use to write on the paper with.

 Some worked better than others, for obvious scientific reasons.

 I'm not too sure I'd rush out to do this one again but it was well worth a try.
I wish they would have drawn picture and then we could have at least hung them up and show them off.
Maybe next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment